Temporary worker

It is important for foreign workers to choose the right program before starting temporary employment in Canada.

Canada is actively seeking foreign skilled workers to promote its competitiveness. Here you will find the latest information on working in Canada for your specific situation.

In most cases, the foreign worker needs a work permit to work in Canada. However, there are a number of circumstances in which one can work in Canada without a work permit. In addition, there are a number of other ways to work in Canada. For example, work permits can be issued for business trips or can be issued under international agreements such as USMCA without having to follow the traditional work permit process.

Types of Canadian work permits

The examples presented below are just some of the scenarios for obtaining a work permit in Canada.

Under Canadian immigration regulations, foreign spouses or registered partners of temporary foreign workers and foreign students who wish to work in Canada themselves require an Open Work Permit. The holder of this work permit is not tied to a specific employer and does not require a prior job offer. Open Work Permits are available under the following programs:

– Inland Spousal/Common-Law Partner Sponsorship Category of the Family Class

– Post-Graduation Work Permit Program for international graduates of Canadian universities/colleges

– International Experience Canada Program

These work permits require the employer to go through an assessment in which the impact of hiring a foreign worker on the Canadian labour market (Labour Market Impact Assessment, LMIA) is examined. If the employer demonstrates in this process that it cannot fill a vacant position with domestic workers, a temporary and position-specific work permit may be issued to a foreign worker under the Temporary Foreign Workers Program (TWFP).

Work Permits without a prior Labour Market Impact Assessment may be granted for certain exceptional situations. These include, for example, intra-company transfers, secondment of academic staff, work in the context of charitable or religious institutions, or in the International Experience Canada Program for youth exchange. These include Working Holidays Visas, Student Co-op programs, Young Professional programs, and Teacher Exchange programs.

The following examples may not require a work permit in Canada. However, the issuance of a Temporary Resident Visa may be necessary.

Trade visitors
Foreign representatives and their family members
Military personnel
Foreign government officials
Air Safety Officer
Athletes and team members
News reporters, media teams
Judges, arbitrators and similar officials
Public speaker
Congress organizers
Members of the clergy
Auditors, appraisers, experts and investigators
Civil Aviation Inspectors
Flight or accident investigators
Aircraft/ship crews
Emergency Service Provider

Comments are closed.